By Gary Stein, standing for Assistant Group Secretary
We have seen:
- Plans implemented to close our enquiry centre network
- A constant flow of office closures announcements
- Job cutting tools such as PMS introduced
- Imposed detrimental changes to terms & conditions
- The quality of our jobs deteriorating drastically
- Reduced flexibility & annual leave availability
In response to our employer’s relentless attacks our group executive has responded by continually referring to an ‘imminent’ Jobs & Staffing Campaign which would be all encompassing.
Despite these assurances the reality is that our members have seen a year of inactivity from our GEC. There has been no meaningful industrial response to our employers endless attacks and members have been left to suffer in the dark without proper instruction or guidance.
As a result members have lost faith in the current Group Executive Committee and have become disengaged with the group’s Jobs & Staffing Campaign.
The incoming GEC are going to have to work hard to regain members’ confidence. I believe this can be achieved by GEC members becoming more accountable and visible to our members. If elected I commit to:
- Ensuring democratically set conference policy is adhered to
- Voting in an independent & transparent manner
- Attending regular members meetings in workplaces
- Providing frequent negotiating updates & briefings
- Being contactable to members when required.